TreesNC received a $12,000 grant to support restoration of the 1839 Asheboro Female Academy in 2016.
The Asheboro Female Academy opened in 1839 to expand educational opportunities for girls in the county and is likely the oldest standing structure in Asheboro. Today, it sits, quite appropriately, on Asheboro City Schools property on Walker Street.
Col. Benjamin Elliott donated $400 and an acre of land to build the schoolhouse for girls at the present-day location of the Bank of North Carolina. The two-room school opened four months later, on June 17.
Copyright © 2023 Marion Stedman Covington Foundation. All rights reserved.